FINDING YOUR PIECE OF MIND: BRISCOE INTERVIEW

In their debut album ‘Friends Ago’, Briscoe explore the revolutionary genre that is country-tinged power pop music.

Whilst lyrically expressing the process of slowly dying inside, Bart Denaro (guitar, singer, song writer) independently record the album with his six-piece band within their bedrooms and lounge rooms after finishing up their ‘Day Job’.

On first impression a song about indignantly prosaic points garbled with petty internal argument sounds as though it would offer no possible insight to us fluorescent adolescents, but I promise you that once you hit play, it’ll be impossible to resist the temptation of tapping your pens’ along to Briscoe’s infectious beats during your many hours of procrastination. 


Check out the interview below 






How would you describe your sound in ‘Day Job’ to someone that has never heard you play before?

I always try to make the sound relate to the subject matter in a consistent kind of way, so I would like to think the sound of Day Job is a little bit angry, a little bit desperate, a little bit tense and delirious. I guess it’s trying to evoke the sorts of emotions that come with feeling trapped by your own decisions, like choosing technical drawing as an elective at the end of year 10, then half way through year 11 thinking THIS IS THE MOST BORING THING EVER WHY DID I PICK IT?! when it’s kinda too late to change (this happened to me, it was terrible. No offence tech drawing students/teachers).

In a sixman band how did you all agree upon naming yourself after the great Lennie Briscoe?

Ha! Lennie Briscoe was my childhood obsession and luckily I named the band before I asked anyone else to join, so they just had to live with it. But let’s be honest, Lennie Briscoe is a genius, who was ever going to argue with that?

If Briscoe were a country, which would it be?

Maybe Cuba – an ageing dictatorship, a high literacy rate, a questionable human rights record and a beautiful coastline, that’s about right.

What’s your earliest memory of music?

I think it was a Dean Martin tape my parents had in the car. Dean Martin was an Italian-American film star in the 50s and 60s. I used to sing along to Mambo Italiano and That’s Amore, and feel a little more Italian than usual (youtube “dean martin that’s amore” and you’ll get the idea). My parents said he had a terrible accent when he sang the Italian lyrics though. Poser.

What was the last song you listened to?

It was my phone’s ringtone – I Can Change by LCD Soundsystem.

How do you think music has evolved between the two?

Wowzers. Tracing kitsch 50s cine-pop all the way to a dancerock ringtone from 2010. That’s a big job. Between the two of these eras, music has split into millions of genres, billions of sub-genres, each with thousands of documentaries about what why they exist. Talking about my own personal taste though, I’ve gone through so many phases in my life where I will get obsessed with a band or a genre and write off everything else – I watched a 10-part documentary on Jazz by Ken Burns and for about 6 months after that I thought pop music was the devil. I haven’t really evolved, just jumped from species to species like a parasite.

So then where do you think Briscoe sits within the Australian music industry?

We are perfectly average I think. We all work for a living to give us enough money to travel and play shows and make records outside of work hours, which is a very real and common struggle among bands I know. We send our music to radio stations, gig bookers and music journalists and hope for the best but don’t expect anything. In my early days as a muso, I used to get angry when radio programmers wouldn’t play our songs and record industry people wouldn’t reply to emails, but now I realise that nobody owes us anything and there are SO many people trying to make it... why should we get special treatment? All we can do is all anyone can do - be true to ourselves and our work and hope people like it.  

Theoretically, would you say there is a defining sound of Briscoe or is it all about the sheer spontaneity of self-production and home recording?

My musical heroes are ones that refused to be locked in to a sound – David Bowie, the Beatles, Beck, Wilco, Led Zeppelin. The defining feature of these guys is the lack of a defining feature. This is what we are striving for with Briscoe but it is very hard to do. Once you release music in a certain style it sets up an expectation for people, and when you try to do something different next time around, people can think you’re being fake or dishonest. All the bands I listed above had the courage to explode these expectations early in their careers which freed them up to make what they wanted to make. I love this.

And lastly if you were given the opportunity to have a superhuman power but had to give up your musical ability, would you do it?

Yes! Because no matter how bad I was I would still get enjoyment from playing music. Also, picture this: Superman rescues a trainload of passengers from a carriage teetering on a cliff-edge. There are hugs and applause and solemn, moist-eyed handshakes all round. Then Superman pulls out his piano-accordion and says “here’s a little number you may have heard, “That’s Amore!” And no matter how horrible the performance is, no matter how much those people wished that their carriage had actually tipped over the edge, they stand there and they listen, and they cheer, and then they go and buy it from iTunes afterwards because IT’S SUPERMAN and he saved their frickin’ lives! That’s what they call “direct marketing” kids :)



Pretty sweet tunes! 

Look      Listen     Buy

0 comments:

Post a Comment